The airport began operations in January 1948 as the main hub for domestic flights from Buenos Aires. Its first terminal was completed in 1951. The airport was renamed following the 1955 coup against President Juan Perón in honor of the pioneer of Argentine aviation, Jorge Newbery, and was re-inaugurated in 1960 following work that expanded its main runway to 2,070 m (6,790 ft) and added a new terminal. The Argentine Air Force had a small base built near the eastern end of the airport in 1965; it was at this site that President Isabel Perón was formally deposed by the military in the March 1976 coup. A new terminal for national air carrier Aerolíneas Argentinas was inaugurated in 1981, expanding total terminal area to 30,000 m2 .
Global Album • Planespotting / Pictures
• Visit our local reference photographer of the AWP Team : Andrés ALIOTTA