The airport is located within a densely populated metropolitan area. The runway length includes a 515 metres (1,690 ft) displaced threshold on Runway 20. The El Palomar VOR-DME (Ident: PAL) is located 4.1 nautical miles (8 km) north-northeast of the airport.
The airport covers an area of 439 hectares. It is located about 20 kilometres from Buenos Aires city and was the main airport in Argentina prior to the opening of Ministro Pistarini International Airport in 1944. From 1951 to 1988 was the location of the VII Air Brigade (Spanish: VII Brigada Aérea) of the Argentine Air Force, which operated various aircraft, including: Gloster Meteor, Morane-Saulnier MS-760, Bell UH-1D, Hughes 369, Sikorsky S-58T, Grumman Albatross, and T-34 Mentor .
Morón was the base of the defunct airline CATA, which operated between 1986 and 2004.
Also located at Morón are the following institutions:
he Instituto Nacional de Aviación Civil, a government organization providing training to civilian pilots and technicians.
a flying school operated by the Aero Club Argentino (Argentine Air Club)