Taipei Songshan Airport ( IATA : TSA , ICAO : RCSS ) is a mid-size commercial airport and military airbase located in Songshan , Taipei , Taiwan (the Republic of China) . The airport covers an area of 182 hectares (450 acres). The civilian section of Songshan Airport, officially Taipei International Airport , has scheduled flights to domestic destinations in Taiwan and international destinations including Seoul , Tokyo , and select cities in mainland China . Songshan serves only a small portion of the international flights for Taipei compared to the larger Taoyuan International Airport . Songshan Airport is also the base of certain Republic of China Air Force units as part of the Songshan Air Force Base . The Songshan Base Command's main mission is to serve the President and Vice President of the Republic of China . The airport was built in 1936 during Japanese rule with its origins as a Japanese military airbase, the Taihoku Airfield ( Japanese : 臺北飛行場, Hepburn : Taihoku Hikōjō ), also known as Matsuyama Airfield (松山飛行場). After World War II , in 1946, it was taken over by the Republic of China Air Force . Shared military and civilian use—both domestic and international—began on 16 April 1950 in the reconstructed Civil Aeronautics Administration Taipei Airport (交通部民用航空局台北航空站). Domestic destinations have been Kaohsiung , Hualien , Taichung , Penghu , and Tainan . The first international destinations were Seattle , Tokyo , Pusan , Manila , Bangkok , and Hong Kong . The first international airlines included Northwest Airlines , Pan American Airlines , and Hong Kong Airways (now Cathay Pacific ). Later, the airport became too small to handle an increased number of passengers, even after a series of expansions. This later worsened when new wide-body jets became common at the airport. Therefore, all international activities were relocated to Taoyuan International Airport (then known as Chiang Kai-shek International) after its inauguration on 26 February 1979. Consequently, the passenger load at the airport dropped from 6.2 million in 1978 to 2.9 million in 1979 (a 53% decrease). At its peak in 1997, the airport handled over 15.3 million passengers annually.